
Group pic outside Bouchon (c) Laura
Remember last year when I met up with some of my May '06 mommy friends in NY? Well, we did it again! This year, though, we did VEGAS.
Here's who went (L to R, above):
LauraC , Bridget, Tenaya, Heidi, me, Jennifer, Joanna , Julie, Desiree, Beth, Rita
I arrived late Friday, and Jen was there to pick me up, along with Laura, Bridget and Beth. Our first stop was my first-ever trip to In 'N Out Burger, which was delicious! The rest of the group was waiting for us back at the Venetian where we stayed up WAY TOO LATE talking, talking, talking.
Saturday, we had reserved a cabana at the Venezia pool. After a morning helping Laura prep for her photo session with Cathy (another May Mommy!), I headed out to the pool. Well, actually, none of us ever actually went in the pool. =) It was incredible just to have a comfortable outside place to gather together. It didn't hurt that I was able to watch OU beat Texas AND hang out with everyone, either. A freak storm blew through in the afternoon, but we holed up in the cabana until it was pretty much time to get cleaned up for dinner.

Caesar is Livin' Strong

Desi, Joanna, Beth, Jen and Laura
Another Vegas first for me... Rita got us VIP access at a number of clubs, and we all went to Tao Saturday night. That's definitely not my scene, but I had a great time doing a little dancing, having a few drinks and enjoying my friends. I am impressed with Rita and Tenaya's boundless determination to dance all night!
Sunday, we went to brunch at Bouchon. It was quite simply one of the best meals of my life. I had their sourdough waffles with fresh strawberries, syrup and vanilla bean butter. And it was PERFECT. Julie and Heidi had to leave after lunch (boo!), but some of the remaining group hit the strip to "do" Vegas. We walked through the Wynn/Encore then down the other side of the street through Treasure Island, Caesar's and the Bellagio. While we waited for the fountain show outside Bellagio, Desi, Beth and Jen made friends with a boa constrictor!

Beth's new friend (c) Laura

All cleaned up for dinner at AquaKnox
Beth caught a red eye home Sunday night, and the rest of us left Monday morning, tired but happy. Back to real life but fortified with new and deeper friendships.

The Balloon Lady trying to steal Boa Constrictor Guy's thunder
I'm not great at putting my impressions of people into words, but I'll give it a try:
- Julie - I'm so glad I sat by Julie at brunch Sunday or I would have missed out on beginning to get to know one impressive lady. I left her thinking I just wanted to spend more time with her!
- Desi - Desi is strong, calm and authoritative (in a good way). I can imagine that her clients (she's a vet) have the utmost respect for her. I inherently trust Desi - she's the kind of person that you'd like to have your back.
- Heidi -Spunky, fun, and smart. If she wasn't already studying to be a counselor, I'd have to recommend that she pursue it. The only mom of three in our group, and she's got it together!
- Jen - Jen was at the top of my must-meet list. She did most of the planning a coordinating (THANK YOU!), a job I was happy to give up this year. Jen is incredibly thoughtful, driving us all around, making numerous airport runs, making sure our room was stocked with everyone's favorite drinks/snacks, etc. She is also thoughtful in the way that you know she thinks about what she is going to say before it comes out of her mouth. And she asks the most excellent questions!
- Beth - Beth gets credit for asking insightful questions, too. She often despairs about her temper on her blog, but I sure didn't see it. I don't see how Beth does everything she does in her "real life" and stays sane. And how amazing was it that she chose a red-eye (where she was supposed to go straight to work on Monday) so she could spend Sunday with us? I very much look forward to spending more time with Beth in the future.
- Bridget - I can't believe Bridget even came, she is dealing with so much at home with family, health and job. She's so strong, but I hope she knows she can be vulnerable with us, too. I think she does. Bridget is also our fashionista. Need amazing jewelry? See Bridget. Sexy shoes? See Bridget. I wish I had a little bit more of her spice in my life.
- Joanna - Joanna also overcame higher-than-normal obstacles to be with us this weekend, but I'm so glad she did. Her blog is one of my favorite reads because she is such a gifted writer and storyteller. I do love when I can identify the thesis and follow the outline when someone tells a story. It makes me feel as though all is right in the world. =)
- Rita/Tenaya - If you've followed the "girl crush" theme around these trip posts, you know that Rita is mine. Her spirit is so beautiful, and you just know she loves you back. I could listen to Rita talk about food and wine forever - someone give this lady a TV show! And I'm so glad she brought her best friend, Tenaya, on the trip. She was very easy to talk to, has kids the same ages as the rest of us and was up for the all night dance party with Rita when the rest of us old ladies crashed in bed! =)
- Laura - If Rita is my crush, Laura is my soul mate. I really think we will be friends forever. Since I got her all to myself back in June and will see her again in November, I purposefully branched out from her side on this trip. (Ok, that's after spending all of Saturday morning with her. And sharing a bed with her. But other than that, I branched!) I admire so much how she is actively making her life what she wants it to be. I'm so blessed to know her.
Laura's post
Desi's post
Jen's post Jen's 2nd post
Julie's post
Beth's post
Note to self: my format doesn't like linking to flickr. I'll try to upload the pics to blogger tomorrow so they fit better.
9 comments:
What a fun weekend! So jealous of you right now! Sounds like you found some really great ones out there!
I am in complete agreement with the part about the real life friends! Hope that we can meet someday.
Sniff, sniff! Thanks Lindsay. I loved meeting you and can't wait until the next get together!
I love reading everyone's take on the weekend! I totally agree about Jenn, how she is a thoughtful question asker. I so enjoyed meeting you Lindsay and I hope to see you again!
Mom IS nodding! And I'm envious of these friendships, as it will never matter where you live. Everytime I move I have to try to find new friends (before FB, Twitter, blogs). I'd like to find a group like you all have...any suggestions on how to do that? "Mothers of mothers of May '06 babies"??
FUN! You are so beautiful in your "cleaned up for dinner" pic! Hope we can meet soon:)
I'm so glad you had such a great time! Everyone sounds fabulous - I'm feeling a little jealous of all the uninterrupted time with other women/mommies. :)
You guys are all gorgeous. I am jealous in more ways than I can count!!
I am way way WAY behind in blogs (and life in general) but I had this one starred because I wanted to come back and say YES. Soul sister.
Also maybe because I've moved so much, I find I am constantly making new friends and it takes a long time to grow friends. Glad you are one of mine!
Post a Comment