Monday, June 23, 2008

First Annual A&M Girls' Weekend!

After a year in the making, we had our First Annual A&M Girls' Weekend this weekend! There is a group of eight of us that went to school at A&M together that are tied together in some way or another. We used to try to get together every month for dinner, and that dissolved into seeing each other at showers and weddings, then just a few of us for an annual Christmas dinner, and on and on. You get the idea - people get married, move, have kids, change jobs, etc. It's difficult to keep in touch!

Maybe it's because I don't make new close friends easily or because I'm just too stubborn to let old friendships die, but I was bound and determined to do something about it. I started testing the waters to see who might be interested in a weekend getaway about a year ago. All 8 girls said they'd be interested, and we set an approximate budget for what we'd be willing to spend. The idea started forming to have a weekend getaway at my house. Not only is it free, the local girls with new babies (10 weeks old) had the flexibility to come and go as they were needed at home.

As expected, we weren't able to find a weekend to suit everyone, but we did have a group of 5 for most of Saturday! I think that's pretty good odds out of 8! For a while there, I honestly thought it would just be Amy and me (which would also be fun, but that's not the point)! So a BIG THANK YOU to all the girls for making my Girls' Weekend dreams come true. I had a wonderful time and love you guys so much!

Here's what we ended up doing...

Friday night, Amy, Melissa, Courtney, and I met out for dinner at Maggiano's - yummy! After dinner, Court headed home, and the rest of us headed to Casa Crawford where Jill arrived from Arkansas a little after 10:00. We stayed up talking until after midnight (a big feat these days!) and had a delicious night of sleep with no kids or husbands to wake up for early in the morning.

Saturday, Courtney met back up with us for pedicures, lunch at Gloria's, shopping, and the Sex and the City movie. It was so nice to make up plans as we went - besides the pedicures, we didn't have to be anywhere at a specific time. What a treat! Amy and Courtney went home at dinner time, and Melissa, Jill, and I returned to Casa Crawford for the evening. We made a yummy taco salad with margaritas (I had tea) and sat out on our patio for almost four hours, just enjoying the view, the weather, and each other. They left early on Sunday.

What a blessing to be able to spend so much time with these girls! Usually, it's difficult to get past the "what are you doing" to the "how are you doing" part of the conversations when you're just together for dinner or a shower. I was just starving for something like this.

So, thanks to the girls for coming, and thanks to the husbands for picking up the slack while we were gone.

Here's to next year!!!

1 comment:

-Bridget said...

What an awesome tradition you've started! That gives me some ideas...